5/28/09

More Crochet Edgings & Cross-stitch


Since I last posted about the crochet edging I went into hyper-drive and I'm still not finished. But I thought I would share with you my progress thus far. I still need to block them. They are much prettier than this picture makes them seem.

I've been working on starch recipes. I've used spay starch on crochet doilies in the past but I want something with a
little more body to it for these edging since they'll be displayed along the edge of shelves both in my craft room and in the dining room.

The first mixture I tried was 1 part starch to 8 parts water. In this case 1/2 cup starch to 4 cups of water. The turned into a gelatinous goo but the results would be great for snowflakes you want to use on a tree at Christmas or anything you want very, very, very stiff. This little motif can stand on it's edge.

The mixture was much stiffer than I want for my edgings so I am going to decrease the starch to 1/4 cup to 4 cups of water and see how that works. Fortunately I have several more motifs to use until I get this right. When I do I'll share the recipe with you here.


I’ve also been working on a cross-stitch project. This will become the top of a stocking for my great-niece or nephew (haven’t decided which) and I still have two more to do. I also want to do stocking for all of my kids, their spouses and my grandkids (I know, I have my work cut out for me.

4 comments:

Barbara said...

Oh I like your edgings! I have 2 small shelves I put crochet edging on, but didn't starch as they were not very wide. But I used a double faced tape sort of stuff to attach it and it doesn't hold..How are you going to attach to the shelves?

Kirsty said...

I think your edgings look fabulous.

Amy Solovay said...

Your crochet work is beautiful!

Stacey said...

You always make such lovely things. I love all your work. Your edging turned out beautiful.