6/12/10

Basement Windows



A small change but a big difference.

We have a bedroom in our basement with two windows just like this one. They don't let in much light, so every little bit counts but for privacy sake they need to be covered. And typical of most basement windows they draw bugs and spiders.

So I was stuck with the dilemma of how to cover them without blocking light or providing safe haven for Aragog and his gang. After several years of pondering the problem I came up with the idea of putting some kind of thin paper over them. It would provide privacy and I could easily clean the dust and cobwebs away.



This paper was very pretty when I bought it but it had a waxy coating on it and I could never find any type of tape that would hold it up, not even that handy tack worked. And over time the wee bit of sunlight coming through caused it to dry out and start to crumble.


So I was back to trying to find something to cover them. I was putting away some wrapping paper one day when it hit me, tape sticks to tissue paper like a magnet and tissue paper is sheer enough to let in light while being opaque enough to provide privacy.

Yes, that's a donkey and an elephant you see there. We haven't found a
red/white/blue Bison (Independent Party) yet but when he do he'll join his fellow running mates.

Tissue paper is much cheaper than fancy artist paper, much easier to find, and comes in lots of colors and patterns, so I can recover the windows as often as needed without breaking the bank or going out of my way to find supplies.



I'll be joining Met Monday at Between Naps on the Porch. Lots of other metamorphous happen over that BNOTP, take a moment and check them out.

9 comments:

Patti @ Pandoras Box said...

great idea...might use this idea

Allison Shops said...

Great idea! So you used tissue paper? It looks like some of the handmade papers with flowers and fibers you see.
Dropping by from Met Monday, 18ft island kitchen.

Allison
Atticmag

Kelee Katillac said...

Great idea and improv!

Kelee from Met Mon.

Laura @ The Shabby Rabbit said...

That looks awesome! What a fantastic idea! Adds such fun detail!

Decor To Adore said...

This is a truly wonderful transformation. So creative and clever!

Lynne (lynnesgiftsfromtheheart) said...

What a clever idea.. hugs ~lynne~

WhisperWood Cottage said...

Clever, thrifty, and beautiful! My kind of project!!

Cindy said...

That's a great idea! I think there is stuff you can spray on the window too that gives privacy but lets the light in.

I came by to say thanks for the nice comment you left me on my internet scam post! That was so kind of you!

Laur said...

I admire you for choosing an option like this -- it looks good, serves the purpose, and does not break the bank. Good for you!
Laurel
http://www.abundantempress.blogspot.com